If you’re looking for things to do in Lisle, IL this August, look to Benedictine University. USATF Illinois is bringing back the 2016 USATF Masters Throws Championships to the Village of Lisle/Benedictine University Sports Complex. The two-day event takes place on August 6 and 7, 2016 and offers plenty of fun and recreation as a spectator, volunteer, or participant.
A Fun Filled Weekend Of Events
The event is jam-packed with unique competitions that showcase the power and strength of ultimate athletes. Specific competitions include: the Throws Pentathlon, the Ultraweight Pentathlon, and the Superweight Throw. The recreational events are open to both men and women and are broken down by 5-year age groups. The competition features athletes from all over the country and several current and past World Champions including Carol Finsrud, Bob Cedrone, John Goldhammer and Ruth Welding.
This is the third time the sports complex has played host to these throwing sport competitions. Master throwers descended on Lisle in both 2010 and 2013 to compete in the ultimate weight-throwing sport competitions.
This year was a little different, however. Event organizers did not ask for bids to host the event. Instead, they sought out locations that had previously hosted the event with success and used that to guide their decision. USATF Illinois and Lisle stood out amongst other candidates and was chosen.
We expect to 250 athletes, plus officials, friends and family to visit Lisle during the competition. The Hilton Lisle/Naperville is the host hotel, providing bleachers at each throwing venue and offering a room discount code. Mention reservation code CUSA when making a reservation to receive the discount.
3 Ways To Participate
Lisle sporting events and USATF events are always a community effort. USATF welcomes local supporters and fans as spectators but this year they also need volunteers to help make the event a success.
- Volunteer. Volunteers are needed to provide general event support and administration. No experience is needed but volunteers must be at least 15 years of age. Sign up by contacting Tricia Myers at email@example.com or visit usatfillinois.org to download an application.
- Spectator. Come by anytime on Saturday or Sunday to view the events. The schedule is:
- Saturday, August 6: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.: Throws Pentathlon. This includes the Hammer, Shot, Discus, Javelin and Weight throws performed in a pentathlon format.
- Sunday, August 7: 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.: Ultraweight Pentathlon and SuperWeight Throw. This consists of the weight, the superweight and the next three sizes of weights. Weights ranging from 16 lbs. to 300 lbs. will be thrown.
- Masters Athlete. There’s still time to enter the competition as a Masters Athlete in both the male and female categories. Sign up through July 23 at www.usatf.org.
Follow The Event On Facebook To Learn More
Learn more about the (USATF) Masters Throws Championship and volunteer opportunities by following the event Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/2016ThrowsChamps/, by emailing event organizers at 2016ThrowsChamps@gmail.com, or by visiting www.usatf.org.
Find dining and lodging options in Lisle at www.stayinlisle.com.