Tis the season! The holidays are a joyful time to spend with friends, family and the Lisle community! Below are some of the events that the Village of Lisle is planning to add some extra cheer to your holiday season! There will be a parade, tree lighting, food trucks, ice-carving, concerts, trains and more. Join us in Lisle as we celebrate the magic and wonder of the season with some great holiday activities. Here are Top Five things to do this 2018 holiday season in Lisle…
Prepare to be dazzled… We’re kicking off our holiday happenings with a GLOW of lights!
1. Illumination Tree Lights at The Morton Arboretum – The grounds of The Morton Arboretum will glow again with dazzling LED lights and trees that respond to touch and sound from November 16, 2018 through January 1, 2019. This year offers fresh twists on favorite experiences and surprising new sights, including art from HYBYCOZO–amazing treelike sculptures that spread intricate designs of light. Hug a tree to see how it responds, let starlike lights wash over you in a grove of trees, and watch multicolored lights dance to symphonic music. This is a one-of-a-kind family activity you won’t want to miss! Ticket prices can be found on their website mortonarb.org.
2. Lights of Lisle – To prepare for Santa, Downtown Lisle is decorated with beautiful holiday decorations. Festivities begin at 4:30 pm on Saturday, December 1, when the Santa Parade brings Santa to Main Street, then on to the Museums at Lisle Station Park campus. Join Mayor Pecak for the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony, held at 6 PM at the community holiday tree on the grounds of Village Hall. Watch an ice carver transform a block of ice into a beautiful creation. Be sure to take a trolley ride through the downtown to view over 1500 luminaries that line the streets and PrairieWalk Pond. Between the Village, Villa St. Benedict and the Lisle hotels, assorted cookies will be available to satisfy your sweet tooth! Food trucks this year will be Toasty Cheese, The Big Rig and Little Red Donut. Make sure to save lots of time to shop downtown Lisle businesses for “Merry on Main” for a day of holiday open houses, treats, giveaways, and more!! Stroll down Main Street and view the decorated windows – don’t forget to vote for your favorite!
Before Lights of Lisle, make sure to visit Villa St. Benedict for their Memorial Luminary Illumination from 3:30 – 5 pm, where they will have Christmas Carols, hot chocolate and cookies to enjoy with Illumination and Blessings!
3. Once Upon a Christmas –The Lisle Heritage Society celebrates old fashion holiday fun on Saturday, December 1 and Sunday, December 2 with children’s crafts, music, brick oven baking, and blacksmithing. At the Black Smith Shop, kids are able to pump giant bellows to give oxygen to the flames where the iron is being formed to make horseshoes, nails and other small artifacts. If you are a train enthusiast, HO gauge model trains will be on display in the Netzley /Yender House. The kids can also meet Santa and Mrs. Claus at the Depot Museum while munching on some sweet snacks.
On Sunday, December 2, several of Santa’s reindeer will be making a personal appearance! The reindeer will make a brief stop at the museum park from 11am – 1pm. Their appearance is being timed to give the children on The Lisle Santa Train something extra special to see when it pulls into the Metra station at 11am on Sunday.
4. Lisle Santa Train will leave on two trips to the North Pole and back beginning at 9:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. on Sunday, December 2, from the Lisle Metra train station. The 11-car double-decker Metra commuter train will loosely recreate the trip enjoyed by the award-winning children’s book penned by Chris Van Allsburg, “The Polar Express.” A Train Engineer, Wayne Dunham, will collect tickets from the children. He will be dressed in his conductor’s suit and hat and will help young people and Santa board the train and shout “all aboard” when The Christmas Train is ready to begin its trip. Between the live reindeer at the museums at Lisle Station Park and a make believe train ride to the North Pole, a fun time will be had by all! Expect to find costume characters on board, volunteers such as the Girl Scouts, Lisle Teens with Character and Lisle High School Key Club will be leading Christmas carols. A small gift will be passed out and of course Santa himself will be traveling in every car to see the kids!
5. Hilton Lisle- Award-Winning Allgauer’s Restaurant, located in the Hilton has an amazing Thanksgiving and Christmas Day brunch every year and 2018 is no exception. The Thanksgiving Brunch Buffet features snow crab legs, butternut squash bisque, deviled eggs, herb-crusted leg of lamb, honey-glazed ham, sage-roasted turkey, lemon meringue tarts and more. The Champagne will be flowing and be sure to expect special tantalizing items for their Christmas extravaganza!
Have you registered for Hilton’s Breakfast with Santa? It is an annual event, held Saturday, December 8 in the Regency Ballroom that features a grand breakfast buffet with an omelet station. Children are able to visit with Santa all morning and each receives a special gift. The highlight is a magic show designed just for kids! The magician has the kiddos sitting right up front on the carpet where he involves them every step of the way and leaves everyone is awe. Reserve early as this annual tradition sells out every year. Call 630.245-7600 for reservations.
Bring in the New Year by going to Hilton’s Light up the Night New Year’s Eve Gala! It begins with an opening reception with butler passed hors d’oeuvres. Enjoy either a 3 to 5-hour open bar “Shaken … Not Stirred” Martini Bar until 10pm. Feast on a custom five-course duet dinner created by their Executive Chef Nick. Celebrate the New Year with a champagne toast at midnight and dance all night with entertainment by the Michael Heaton Band® and DJ by Sounds Abound — plus, another DJ and dancing in a second ballroom!
Lisle Hotel Specials – For me, it wouldn’t be the holiday season without enjoying a festive cocktail or two. Lisle hotels will have sparkling and savory cocktails in their lobby bars! Make sure to check out the Hilton, Hyatt and Sheraton Holiday Hotel Packages on the Lisle Convention & Visitors Bureau’s website www.StayinLisle.com for special pricing for your out-of -town guests! Also make sure to check out their Special Offer page for other discounts in Lisle.