Familiarization Tours are Still Relevant
The need for flexibility in a meeting planner’s schedule is the reason why many CVB’s are now moving in the direction of hosting smaller groups for members of like-minded associations as well as hosting FAM- on-Demand events for individuals. Inviting a team of planners from one organization or working one-on-one provides the ultimate level of personalization and attention to specific details.
Familiarization Tours (FAMs) are definitely still a valid investment in time and money for both the attendees and the hosts. If you’re a planner that can’t wait for that next organized group visit, don’t hesitate to reach out directly to the destination to see what can be individually organized to meet your specific needs.
Make Your FAM Experience Successful With These 10 Tips:
- Make sure that there are not too many activities into a short time frame. Let the host know that you need breathing space along with time to answer office calls and emails. And make sure there is Wi-Fi available to use.
- Remind the host to provide a complete list of all sponsors and contact information on one sheet, in chronological order of dates/activities that you experienced. This is really helpful when you do follow up communications.
- Have the host show you something that makes the area unique, whatever that might be – an unusual sport, a cultural heritage, a rustic barn venue; these are the fun discoveries that might just provide a great theme and seal the deal.
- Does the destination have an app? When using the app, you can access all kinds of information, book services, download maps and guides, leave reviews or share pictures of your FAM with your network of friends and family.
- Request a list of local speakers and their specialties. It can prove to be useful. It can save your client money by booking local and avoiding travel costs.
- Ask for specific details as to how they can help you market your event!
- Do they offer a press kit with direct links to photos that you can use without having to wait for permission? That definitely helps speed up the marketing process.
- Make sure you are provided with a good overall picture of transportation into and around the city (airport information/airline carriers/direct flights) as well as options from that airport to our hotels.
- Let your host know your specific age or mind set so they can point out things of special interest to your younger/older/sports-minded group.
- Don’t forget to get the destination’s calendar of events for annual holidays, races, festivals or local events that are taking place over the dates you are considering.
Lisle Convention & Visitors Bureau invites you to consider hosting your next conference, business meeting, reunion, wedding, or retreat in Lisle, Chicago’s premier western suburb. We offer exceptional meeting and event planning services FREE of charge. Choose from three branded hotel properties, including the Hilton, Hyatt Regency and Sheraton Lisle Hotel located 25 miles from airports and downtown Chicago. Ask about our FAMS!