Hotels Near Chicago O’Hare Airport Aren’t All They’re Cracked Up To Be: Stay In Lisle Instead
If you’re flying in to Chicago, chances are you’ll first look for hotels near Chicago O’Hare airport. While convenient to the airport, that’s about all the convenience you’ll enjoy. For a more enjoyable stay in the Chicagoland area, we recommend looking further out from the airport.
Disadvantages Of Hotels Near Chicago O’Hare Airport
- Location. O’Hare isn’t actually in the city proper. The airport is about 20 miles northwest of Chicago. To get into the heart of the city, you’ll need to drive, catch a cab, or take public transit from your hotel to the city. The quickest and least expensive way into Chicago is via the Chicago Transit Authority’s Blue Line Elevated Rail (the “El”). That’s a 45-minute trip from O’Hare. You could also call a cab or rent a car but it’s not unheard of to spend an hour and a half in a car trying to get from O’Hare to the lakefront, depending on the time of day or the weather. Trust us, you don’t want to be making that drive every day you’re in town.
- Noise. Hotels near Chicago O’Hare airport are noisy, there’s no way around that. Even the best soundproofing can’t drown out the engine noise coming from one of the world’s busiest airports. If you’re a light sleeper or are traveling with kids, this can be a major problem.
- Nothing To Do. Unless you’re planning to hole up in your hotel all day, there’s not much to do in hotels near the airport. You’re surrounded by the airport, after all. There’s no open space to go for a run. No shopping unless you want to buy overpriced trinkets at O’Hare or in the hotel lobby. No special events or sights to see.
- Lack Of Dining Options. It’d be a travesty to visit Chicago and be stuck eating hotel food every day, but that’s what you’ll get if you’re staying in an airport hotel.
- Expensive. Located so close to a major airport, these hotels can charge expensive rates that will quickly add up if your stay is longer than a night.
Stay in Lisle Instead
Ultimately, where you stay depends a great deal on what your plans are for your time in Chicago. If you’re here for a quick overnight, hotels near Chicago O’Hare airport are a good option because they are so convenient to catching your outgoing flight.
If you’re here for a convention in the heart of the city, you’ll probably want to stay in downtown Chicago. Be forewarned though, hotels in the city are expensive, as are the amenities like parking and food.
But, if you’re here to explore all that Chicagoland has to offer, a hotel in the suburbs is your best choice. Lisle hotels, for instance, are only a 25-minute drive from O’Hare – we will even give you transportation recommendations! Once here, you’ll enjoy FREE, on-site parking, lower priced rooms when compared to hotels in the city, a quiet environment, plenty of green space, free shuttle service to popular area attractions within five miles, and all of the on-site hotel amenities you’d expect from five-star hotels in the city: restaurants, fitness centers, pools, concierge service, and work centers, for starters. Not only that, Lisle is conveniently located to popular downtown areas like Naperville and Oakbrook and there’s a Metra rail stop right in town. You can easily stay in Lisle and take the train in to the city when you want to explore Chicago’s sights and sounds.
Plan Your Stay In Lisle With Help From The Lisle Convention & Visitors Bureau
Visit the Lisle Convention & Visitors Bureau online at www.stayinlisle.com to learn more about our hotels and lodging options, local events, and area attractions. We’re certain you’ll find everything you need to plan a memorable trip to Chicago!