This I know for sure – Growing up in the Chicago area is pretty amazing! When traveling, even though I live in the western suburbs and when asked, I always say I’m from Chicago. I can’t help it, I am a proud Chicagoan. I love going “Downtown” to visit this great city of ours.
I came across this pretty cool list of 101 Things to do with your Chicago Kid by Caitlin Giles. She focuses on all of the incredible opportunities for families in Chicago that just don’t exist elsewhere. I know that we are all busy and some of us get stuck in suburbia world, but it might be helpful to have a list of some of the absolute must-do activities for your kid – and maybe even you – to experience living in the Chicago area.
Now, I know that the suburbs don’t have the same excitement appeal as Downtown Chicago; however, I made a list of my top 20 “Not-To-Miss” with your kids in the DuPage area. Check it out!
- See the beauty of every season at The Morton Arboretum, Lisle
- Climb the army tanks at First Division Museum at Cantigny Park, Winfield
- See a performance in Drury Lane Theatre, Oakbrook
- Recliners, dinner and drinks while you watch a movie, iPic Theaters, Bolingbrook
- Check out the duck pond at Cosley Zoo, Wheaton
- Show off your golf skills or not at TopGolf Chicago, Wood Dale
- Perfect place to learn how to ski, Four Lakes Ski Area, Lisle
- Get on track with Indoor go-kart racing, K1 Speed, Addison
- Discover DuPage county’s wonderful forest preserves, Wheaton
- Movies under the stars, Cascade Drive In, West Chicago
- Three Trails lead hikers, bikers and horseback riders through woodlands, wetlands and prairies, St. James Farm Forest Preserve, Warrenville
- Learn how veterinarians care for injured wildlife, Willowbrook Wildlife Center, Glen Ellyn
- Most unique swimming hole ever – part quarry, part beach, Centennial Beach in Naperville
- Attend outdoor festivals – i.e. Eyes to the Skies Hot Air Balloon Festival, Lisle
- Try bowling and/or bocce ball, Pin Stripes, Oakbrook
- Amazing hands on activities at DuPage Children’s Museum, Naperville
- Rent bikes, cross-country skis or snow shoes at The Morton Arboretum, Lisle
- You have to ride the paddle boats on the Naperville Riverwalk
- Strap on a pair of ice skates and glide, Seven Bridges Ice Arena, Woodridge
- DuPage County, currently holds 6 (pick one) beautiful, easy and hard disc golf, frisbee golf, and mini disc golf courses, Downers Grove, Lombard, Naperville, Roselle, Oakbrook
The Lisle CVB has travel and event information about the Chicago metropolitan area and Illinois.